Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, June 2, 2014

Tom Ford Eye Color Quad - Cognac Sable


Oh Tom Ford...why did it take you so long to come to Canada... 

Ok, so it's been here a little over 6 months now, but I'm finally reviewing my first Tom Ford purchase because I was undecided whether it was worth the money and thus whether or not to recommend it. 

Tom Ford's cosmetic line landed in Holt Renfrew in Toronto in October 2013, and when I finally got around to checking out the counter downtown a month later, it was already packed and busy and limited edition products were all sold out. So I ended up buying another "oldie but goodie", which is an eyeshadow quad that has been much talked and blogged about.


As with most luxe cosmetics, a velvety pouch is a must...


One thing I do have to credit Tom Ford for, is the packaging. It's very simple, yet sophisticated, not at all overly done, just simply...nice.

It is also one of the most reflective cases I've seen, now you get to see what camera I use for all my photos :)


Opening view of Cognac Sable... it comes with a protective plastic film. I was surprised that the little sponges also came with a little blending brush. This could be very useful when travelling if I've forgotten my brushes...


Here's a closeup... The upper right coppery-shimmer shade is gorgeous on the lid to glam up your look. The other 3 work great for an everyday natural eye or the darkest shade can be smoked out for a night out.

The shadows perform effortlessly with minimal fallout (the copper-shimmer shade does have a bit of fallout, so pat it on rather than "brush" it on). 

There's so many swatches already of this palette on various blogs that I won't bother adding to what's already out there. This post is just adding my opinion to the masses, that my wallet now hates me because I am in love with ridiculously expensive cosmetics! This bugger costs $85 CDN and is the most expensive eyeshadow quad I've ever bought, beating the Dior and Armani by about $20...and I want more...sigh... maybe I need to enter cosmetic rehab soon...

So...is it worth it? To be honest, I like the "feeling" of using this product more than the actual performance. Don't get me wrong, the performance is great, but I'm not sure that it out-performs Dior or Armani shadows at ~$20 less. The packaging is certainly better... so in the end, if you care about that "feeling" or the packaging, go for it you're gonna love it! If not, and your main focus is on shadow performance and value...then you will probably want to stick with other options (especially if you're starting out as an MUA, this is not kit-friendly due to price alone...unless you plan on having celebrity clients perhaps =P).
 
What's the most expensive color cosmetic you've ever bought?

2 comments:

  1. i hitnk the most expensive thing ive ever bought was a guerlain bronzer but thankfully i got it using points :)
    Jenn
    A Beautiful Zen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay for points! gotta love the Bay and Shoppers for that :)

      Delete