Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, July 14, 2014

Nars Orgasm/Laguna mini palette




If you've read my blog before you probably know I'm REALLY slow on the uptake of any hype products. So yes, I have done it again... I have JUST begun using the infamous Nars Orgasm/Laguna  combo.  These have been swatched and compared bajillions of times before on other blogs so I won't contribute photos to that, but will add my two cents (just cuz I can...).

 

I probably don't have to say this, but just in case you're unfamiliar, Orgasm is a peachy-pink shade with fine shimmer/glow. Laguna is a warm mildly-shimmery bronzer (less shimmery/glowy that Orgasm).  This has been noted to be the perfect blush/contour combo by many others.
 

So I have been trying this out for the last few days, my take... I actually find Orgasm a bit too shimmery for me. I still prefer my matte blushes, and would rather than add shimmer highlighter to where I like to put it (in a "C" shape from just above my eyebrows to top of my cheekbones), rather than mix it with the blush. 

As for Laguna, it's a great bronzer! Adds a nice warm glow with just the right hint of shimmer. Note I do NOT use this as a contour. Contour/shading should be done with a shade that mimics a shadow on your face to get a realistic effect. Laguna is not the color of a shadow for my skintone, and I'm going to guess it's not going to be a good shadow shade for a lot of lighter skinned people, it's much too warm. Grey-tones usually perform better for this.

For me, I like to use bronzer where the sun would hit to mimic a glowy tan (what a bronzer is meant to do), which means top of my forehead and on TOP of my cheekbones (not under), and some on my chin and jawline.  Refer to this excellent video by Jordan Liberty to see the effect of bronzer inappropriately used as contour. That said, some people can use certain bronzers as contour, but again only if the bronzer shade happens to mimic how shadows look on one's face. 

Personally, I don't like to contour as my face is already quite angular. I much prefer highlighting to get a more youthful appearance.

Do you have this infamous combo? What were your thoughts? How about your thoughts on contouring? Please feel free to disagree with me and share your experience with bronzers/contouring, I'm always open to learning what others are doing!


2 comments:

  1. I have both in mini sizes and even though they are such highly raved, I don't use them as often as I would like. As you said, the blush is a bit too shimmery for me. I like the bronzer much better and I do like to contour, especially I have a big round face and contouring the cheeks really helps slim down my face and make my face a bit dimensional and not so flat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mini sizes are definitely more than enough for me. I agree sometimes if I've used more full coverage products my face can look quite flat until I put some complexion products on such as blush and bronzer

      Delete